Laura

My photo
Gaffney, SC, United States

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Scouting around an old mill village.


Over the weekend, we were out scouting for an area to place a few new geocaches. I decided I would like to go have a look around the Pacolet Mills community in Spartanburg County. Since I was a child, I have always enjoyed it when we would drive through this area. I like looking at the stone work. I also love the river. The Pacolet River runs through the heart of this mill village. In 1903, this same river, tore the heart out of this community. On June 6th of that year, the river flooded. The flood was estimated to have killed 80, it left around 600 homeless, and around 4000 jobless. The textile mill was heavily damaged. Almost 700 million dollars worth of damage by todays standards.
Here is a link to the NY Times article.
The day we were there, it was spitting rain, and it just added to the beauty of the structures.









Side note:
Sunday 6/7/09: Three of our caches in the area were published.
River Horse-GC1TCNN
Victor-GC1TCQM
Buzzard's Roost-GC1TCO

No comments: