Laura

My photo
Gaffney, SC, United States

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Awaiting fate..

We recently spent a few days camping on the coast at Hunting Island State Park here in SC.  This is a place of simple beauty and a haven for wildlife.  During our stay, we were fortunate enough to see numerous bird species including several Osprey, Brown Pelicans, and Red-Bellied Woodpeckers.  While geocaching along the lagoon, we also witnessed two Bottle nosed Dolphins break the surface. It is truly a rich environment for nature lovers.
 
The beach of Hunting Island is almost four miles long.  My favorite section of the beach is a section called the "Bone yard".   This section is all natural, meaning the maritime forest is untouched except by nature and the trees that have fallen victim to erosion are left as they lay.  Its hauntingly beautiful.  I read on the Friends of Hunting Island web page that this beach loses about 15 ft. of sand a year, just amazing.  Barrier Islands are our mainlands first defense against hurricanes and other severe weather, and they bear true witness to the force of mother nature.

Here are a couple of photos taken on the beach.  One shows the bone yard, another shows a tree awaiting its fate.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been surfing on-line greater than
three hours lately, but I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article
like yours. It's pretty price sufficient for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made just right content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

Check out my site :: Hp Laserjet 2100 ink

Anonymous said...

I'm not certain where you're getting your information,
but good topic. I must spend a while studying more or understanding more.
Thank you for excellent information I used to be in search of
this info for my mission.

Look at my site :: www.Weeklyvolcano.com

Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I to find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

Feel free to visit my weblog - waist hip ratio