Laura

My photo
Gaffney, SC, United States

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Into the Wild



On September 21, 2007 a film "Into the Wild" directed by Sean Penn will be released. This film is based on a true story. The book, I read in the mid-nineties is about a young man from a well to do family, that after college, gave all of his $25,000 in savings away to charity, abandoned his possessions, destroyed his ID, assumed the name Alexander Super Tramp, and walked away from everything he knew to live a life of adventure. This life also lead to tragedy.

This is one of my favorite books, it is a great tale of idealism and wanderlust, and in the end, of tragedy. Its a great read, I hope the movie does it justice!

Sean Penn is one of my two favorite actors,and he is a great director. I feel he will be true to the story.

Below is a quote from a postcard received by one of "Alex's" friends, Wayne Westerburg, in Carthage South Dakota.

April 27th, 1992
Greetings from Fairbanks! This is the last you shall hear from me Wayne. Arrived here two days ago. It was very difficult to catch rides in the Yukon Territory. But I finally got here.
Pleas return all mail I receive to the sender. It might be a very long time before I return South. If this adventure proves fatal and you do not ever hear from me again, I want you to know you are a great man. I now walk into the wild. Alex.

No comments: