Laura

My photo
Gaffney, SC, United States

Monday, April 6, 2009

An out of the way place....


Cherokee County has many historical sites. One of the oldest and most interesting is the Mulberry Chapel, located on Ashbury Rd. in one of the more rural parts of the county. Mulberry Chapel was the first African American church in the area.
The chapel was built in 1869, and has not been used in around 40yrs. The building has clapboard over a log structure. The chapel will be recognized this spring with a historical marker. The Cherokee County Historical Society is working protect the structure.
Here is a short (very short) video of the chapel. I was able to get a shot of the inside through a window (pane already broken on arrival). Please look over the unsteadiness of the camera, as I was balancing on a rock. I just love the little pulpit.
I hope this church can be preserved. It is hauntingly beautiful, and I know it has a lot of meaning to the descendants of the church family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very cool! What a way to share the history of our county in a positive way!


Lisa

Amy said...

How cool is that? I would love to learn more about the out of the way historical parts of Cherokee County.

Amy said...

There's an article about this in the SH-J today: http://tinyurl.com/cn4nv8