Laura

My photo
Gaffney, SC, United States

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Vintage Trailside Treasure.

One of many things I love about geocaching & hiking, is that both hobbies can take you into some very interesting and historical places. Yesterday, we were hiking a short trail to a geocache location, that happened to be near a very old mill village. In the old days, there was no garbage pick up service, so most folks used nearby ditches and ravines as their trash receptacles. The recycling concept, was still a long ways away. A lot of times, trails will take you by some of these old middens. Yesterday was one of those days. I found this early 1940s era Clorox bottle in pristine condition. I brought it home and used a bottle brush and dish detergent on it and it almost looks new. This is the largest of the three vintage Clorox bottles we own. I was very happy to find this and add it to our collection of old bottles. The Clorox company actually has a website with a link to help you date any of the companies bottles you may come across. I wish I could find this type of reference for some of my other finds.
http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/company/heritage/bottle-guide/odds-ends/


No comments: